This week has been a little hectic. Em has decided to potty train, which means spending pretty much all day in the bathroom with her, so we have been pushing like crazy in the evenings and during non-potty-break times to get things done.
We tackled a few projects this week. Here is where the kitchen demo is at:
You can see one of the piles of flooring in the middle of the room. We went and bought that this week. Caden took a look around the flooring store and told me he didn't want our floor to be shiny because then he couldn't walk on it in socks. Sorry kid...you'll be in non-skid socks this winter! The floor has to sit in the house for 2 weeks to acclimate and then we can install, sand and finish it. It only took Michael 3 trips to get it all home...
I found Michael ripping down drywall like this the other night:
Kids, don't try that at home.
I have been working on the back yard. Since all the perennials were on sale at my nursery I decided to go ahead and landscape the bed in front of the sun room windows. It looks great! I dug out 4 very sad-looking azaleas, then dug out some rocks from around the pine tree and put them along the edge of the bed to define it and make it match the rocks around the tree. The ground in this bed is so dry that I just poured a thick layer of compost on it and planted into that. I also put down a layer of brown paper bags before I poured the compost on so that it would hopefully keep the weeds at bay.
A trick that I've learned recently from my nursery is that if you don't want to use a chemical slug bait, you can put down crushed hazelnut shells around the base of the plant. The slugs won't crawl across something sharp like that. Neat trick, and it's so much better than applying poison. Oregon is known for their hazelnuts, so it's nice to use a local product!
A bunch of the edible stuff in our yard was ready this week too. I made pesto last night from the garlic and basil we grew and plan to make plum everything starting tonight. Jam, cakes and whatever else I can sneak them into! We pick blackberries next weekend so I have to get the plums done fast. This is about 1/4 of the tree:
We got the drawings back for the load-bearing wall demo so this week Michael will go get the permit for that. The drawings were a total God-thing, costing about 1/3 of what we expected them to. After that, it's more demo and lots of digging, because Michael needs to dig out the areas for the footings both inside and outside the house. I will continue working on scalping the back yard so we can put the moss down.
We're getting through the hard manual labor part, slowly but surely. I keep looking ahead to the "fun part" - the floor, cabinets, backsplash, paint, etc. When those start getting put together you know you're almost done!