The plums kept us busy for a week, but we are now full steam ahead into the kitchen project!
This house originally had 7 exterior doors. SEVEN. That's one exterior door for every 240 square feet of house. It was a little ridiculous, especially since 2 of them sat right next to each other. The family room had the original back door, and literally 4 feet away in the sun room there was another one. I don't know if it was a code issue when they built the sun room or what, but since we are taking out the wall between the family room and sun room, we figured we could use one less door and some additional kitchen counter space.
At our house in LA, we did the same thing. We had 3 exterior doors there and desperately needed some additional counter space in the kitchen, so we 86'd the kitchen door for some additional work space.
Totally worth it.
This project only took Michael an afternoon, which I think is amazing. He removed the door, framed in the window, installed the window, caulked the window, put up the weatherproofing stuff, then salvaged some of the original siding that had been in the interior of the sun room to patch below the window and painted it to match the rest of the house.
Pretty darn awesome for one afternoon!
He did, of course, have an audience:
Caden hovered over the project for a good 2-3 hours. He's so stinking cute about this stuff. Even Em lasted about an hour. I was impressed!
We plan to put the kitchen sink under the window. Here's an idea of what we're picturing for under the new window:
I think my favorite part of this project was that we didn't have to look any farther than our own house for the siding to match the original. It is a hard width to find, and we were so glad that they had kept the original siding on one wall of the sun room. It made life much easier. Here's the wall we stole from:
Last week Michael finished gutting the wall between the family room and the sun room and pulled up the sun room carpet and pad, which really gives us a peek of what it's going to feel like all opened up. Last night after the kids were in bed I pulled up carpet tack strips in the sun room and this week Michael will start digging the holes for the foundation reinforcement necessary to open up that load-bearing wall. Lots to do.
And hey! Now we're down to a *cough* reasonable 6 exterior doors!